Saturday, July 9, 2011

Summer reading with ebooks!

Hey, all you bookworms!

Ebooks. They're awesome, right? Right.

A lot of libraries are offering more digital audiobooks and ebooks now, through programs like Overdrive Media Console (audiobooks) and Adobe Digital Editions and such. I've been getting books this way more and more recently. The great thing about library ebooks is that they expire automatically, which means no fees. Also, you can access them anywhere (it doesn't have to be AT the library), and some audiobooks can even get transferred to your ipod! I know some people are saying the print books are going to become defunct, but I don't believe this will happen for a long time yet. I really hope it doesn't. There's something really ominous about the thought of a world without paper books.

I like to listen to audiobooks before bed to wind me down. I can't focus enough on them when I'm doing anything else, so I lie down and listen with my eyes closed. Otherwise, they just end up as background noise and I can't follow. Can you tell I'm a great multi-tasker?

I also have an eReader tablet called the Entourage Pocket Edge that has both an e-ink screen and an android tablet screen, and opens and closes like a book. Unfortunately, they're hard to find now because the company shut down, but it works great for how I use it. I'm starting college in the fall and I'm thinking it will be great for that as well because you can record lectures and take notes with the stylus. The e-ink screen is also a touchscreen, which means you can write directly within your ebooks, a.k.a. awesome textbook note taking.

I like to download a whole series of books onto my tablet, so when I finish one book I can go right on to the next one, no hassle. Hey, that's why I'm called The Binge Reader. I may like the convenience, but I'm not such a fan of ebook interface. I don't care how thin it is, there's a certain pleasure in reading giant hardcover books, like Harry Potter 7 (speaking of which, who's excited for the movie this thursday?!).

I hope that manga starts becoming more available as ebooks. I feel there's some big business here waiting to happen. I know I'd rather buy manga ebooks than all those tiny paperbacks. I have a giant box of them waiting to get moved to my new apartment. Ugh. It's worse because I reread them, so I can't get rid of them. I, for one, would be a huge consumer if they started offering more manga ebooks.

Anyway, what's your thoughts on ebooks and audiobooks? Shoot me a comment below.

Love always,
The Binge Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment