Monday, February 7, 2011

The Mortal Instruments: Read on, and on, and on...You won't stop, trust me.

I love Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series. It's wonderful. 


What bothers me is that she quoted Stephanie Meyer's review on the front cover...for every book! Cassandra Clare is a much better writer in so many ways. She should not lower herself to that for publicity. And the quote says, "The Mortal Instruments series is a story world that I love to live in. Beautiful!" - Stephanie Meyer, Author of Twilight. What does that even mean? It's one thing to say "I'd love to live in" but who says "I love to live in?" Though she does not write about "human" (yes, I believe Bella is more of a monster than Edward...) characters, I don't see her living in Downworld. Just doesn't seem right...
Anyway.

I'm a sucker for forbidden romance. On the other hand, I like a unique book. I like books with real character development, and with all of the main characters. 
The character development in this series is superb. When I talk to other people who have read the series, I get lots of "I like Simon" and "I like Jace." That, to me, says original. A lot of forbidden romance series out there are pretty one-sided. Those really get annoying, I'm just sayin'. It doesn't hurt that Jace is literally my dream man. Honestly, he's everything I'd ever want. That aside, the chemistry between Clary and Jace is the best I've seen in awhile. And then she throws the "big whopper" in there, and puts a new meaning on the phrase "teenage angst." I loved it, and I hated it. Of course, I knew it had to turn around. Even expecting it, I was ecstatic when it did. The way it was done was so artfully arranged, that in that last scene by the lake I felt like I was there. I wished I was there. It's become one of my all-time favorite scenes. Cassandra Clare had my awe right there. It felt like she had wrote down emotion rather than words. Her writing style, with all of her sly metaphors, just made that scene.
If you haven't read the series, I highly (if you haven't figured it out yet) recommend it. This series sticks out. 5/5 Stars!
A Note on Clockwork Angel:
Clockwork Angel is the first book in a prequel series called the Infernal Devices. I read it as soon as it was out. I have to say, I was rather disappointed. The character development is good on its own, but after reading Mortal Instruments I was mixing up names. Will and Jace are so similar if not for a difference in history (but who knows, we haven't heard about Will's dad yet) and time period, they might as well be the same person. I felt like it was a rerun of City of Bones. It flows the same and you can relate the characters within each series almost immediately. It took away from the respect I had for Mortal Instruments, honestly. Not that it wasn't a good read, it just felt worn out by the end. I mean, you can't not read it, though, because there are tons of tie-ins within the series that you don't want to miss out on. I just hope Clare adds more depth and originality in the sequel Clockwork Prince. This is coming from a person who has read the Mortal Instruments series, what, 3 times now? I still recommend Clare's work, I'm just hoping for more in her future releases. Don't let me dissuade you, though, it is still addicting, trust me. 3/5 stars? 
Until next time!
The Binge Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment