Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Hunger Games Review + What I've Been Up To...

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

...Which means I've been reading. Lots.

**HUNGER GAMES SPOILERS**
Let's see. I finally ended up reading the Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins, and it was a little surprising. I don't usually anticipate books like that becoming such a huge hit with the girls. It kind of reminded me of Eragon by Christoper Paolini because there was a whole lot of action, and less intense romance than what you dominating the YA shelves these days. However, I feel the books themselves were way too intense and there was way too much brutality. There was weren't enough happy moments to make it enjoyable. The writing was awesome, though. It's why it was so intense. I could feel everything that Katniss did, and if you've read the books too, you'll probably understand when I say it wasn't that pleasant.
I really hated how Collins killed off Prim. I mean, she was just doing all this great characterization with her. Prim was becoming my favorite character, Finnick coming in a close second (whom Collins also killed -__-). It just seemed useless to me. I feel as if she was using Prim's death to determine that Katniss would end up with Peeta. It just seemed overdone, and I really hated the ending. It just sort of faded away, and there was no happy moment at all really. Katniss pretty much lost it, too. She could have taken the time to give Katniss one moment of true happiness and ended it there, but it had to be one of those "and the scars never went away, haunting us forever..." moments. Eh, sorry if it's harsh but once again, I read for entertainment, not overdone emotional stress (I get enough of that already, trust me.).
**End Spoilers**

I also read Wings and Spells by Aprilynne Pike. I really enjoyed this just as a light entertaining read. It wasn't too deep, but it wasn't bad either. I'll be starting Illusions soon. 3 1/2 stars.

One of my recent favorites would be Hex Hall and then Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins. Something about Sophie's characterization is just fantastic. This series isn't be any means a genuinely fresh and unique idea (I mean, school for witches...duh.), but I love Sophie. She's sarcastic, but it's light, and she's really a genuinely nice person. She doesn't fall for the whole popularity charade, and even when she ends up doubting a friend, it's not that extreme at all and she's still somehow super supportive of her. I love her witty one-liners, like how she accidentally broke the ice with her crush by making a dirty joke. I have actually done this before...in front of one of my favorite bands, too...anywho. Archer (resident hottie w/ evil girlfriend) is awesome n'stuff. Highly recommend. 4.5 stars, just because it's light, and not really emotionally deep.

I'll get back to this list soon, but I gotta sleep some.

Love,
The Binge Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment