Monday, June 6, 2011

Chillax.

There's a bit o' drama in the YA book industry as of late.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303657404576357622592697038.html?mod=WSJ_Books_LS_Books_6

This here's an article posted from the Wall Street Journal criticizing some of the themes presented in modern young adult literature. It created a sort of uproar, and sparked one of those snazzy twitter theme/tag movements (#YA saves, I believe). It attacked several authors in particular, provoking more than a few die-hard fans to add their say, but most of all, it pissed off a lot of people.

Personally, I agree with SOME of what the author says. I mean, people take young adult literature way too seriously. Also, some authors are not only immature themselves, but it reflects in their writing. Of course, we're all human and not everyone is supposed to be perfect (I hope not, at least. I'd be screwed for life.), but I do agree that some writing does convey certain themes in a way that makes for bad influences.

I've said it before: I read for entertainment. In my humble opinion, if you read to "find meaning in your life," you've probably got to get a bit of social life, or at least get your head out of the young adult portion of the bookstore, because can't find meaning in your life if you're reading about someone else's issues. You might be able to gain some insight into your problems, but there's only so far that can go.

You can't take these things too seriously. And the author of that article DOES need a major attitude adjustment. Like it or not, kids are the future, thanks to something I like to call Biology.

Yours truly,
The Binge Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment